Archangels are a mysterious yet powerful race of eldritch beings that usually stay beneath the Mer-Line stations of New Wirral. Hunting them is necessary to complete Morgante's "Land of Confusion" Quest.
According to Kayleigh, when the first people washed up on New Wirral, the term "angels" were given to the monsters, while "Archangels" were the given to the eldritch entities due to the term meaning "highest rank of angels". While monsters lost their original "angel" title after it was revealed they could be beaten, "Archangel" still stayed around.
At the end of the game, Aleph reveals that Archangels are egregores created from humanity's desires, such as greed, adventures, wars, even extinction events. In return for giving them life, the Archangels would travel to a random world and act out whatever they were created from, usually bringing untold deviation unto the world, as shown with the Dead World.
After the player and their partners defeat Aleph Null, Ms. Amber mentions that because Archangels are formed from ideas even if they are killed they can reform as long as the idea they formed from still persists.
List of Archangels
These archangels are defeated through the course of the game. Other than A01, A13, A14, and A15, they can be fought in any order, and can be skipped if the player locates the final station early.
|A black and white creature vaguely resembling a woman in a floating dress. The first Archangel encountered and faced in the game. She is first found in a wounded state within the Harbortown Station during the "This Is The World We Live In" quest. After defeating her, you unlock the "Land of Confusion" Quest.
|A version of Morgante after you and your teammates all merge into one. Is used to defeat Aleph Null.
|Night's Bridge Station
|An Archangel resembling a Claymation style skeleton wearing a hat with a love for puppets, using them in combat to avoid damage.
|Glowcester Road Station
|An Archangel with a 3D low-poly appearance, possessing the torso of a man, two wings, a golden skull mask with ram horns, yellow spikes for legs, and a black and white snake wrapping around it. Buried underneath Mourningtown, reaching it is the main goal of the Mourningtown Cult. Is associated with Kayleigh's "I Ran So Far Away" quest.
|An Archangel with an inkblot cartoon appearance and a crown for a head, believing themselves as a "ruler of nothing", ruling the Falldown Mall. Is associated with Meredith's "All I Ever Needed" quest.
|Archangel of Waterloop Station. A flying, ever-shifting cube that believes in the "perfection" of 4-D space.
|An Archangel based on "Alice in Wonderland", ruling the Cherry Cross Station while hosting size changing tea parties for the "guests" within her Wonderland-esqe Station.
|Cherry Cross Station
|An Archangel based on the William Shakespeare character of the same name. A goblin carrying a book with a watercolor-like appearance, it lures Viola into their station by pretending to be Sebastian to reveal the truth. Is associated with Viola's "Everybody's Looking for Something" Quest.
|Bard Street Station
|Leader of the "Landkeepers", an agency of capitalist estate agents that wants to buy up all the land in New Wirral. Resembles a colorful collage face that constantly shift around. Can only be encountered by following Eugene's "Acting On Your Best Behaviour" quest.
|An Archangel that rules Aldgrave Tomb Station, taking the appearance of a towering skeleton that sadistically traps its victims in a endless maze.
|Aldgrave Tomb Station
|An Archangel with the appearance of of a crude drawing of a tower, believing ignorance is supreme and loving bad jokes. Located within the Icelington Station at the top of Mt Wirral.
|The Amber Lodge
|A sentient building that can traverse through time and space. The woman who runs it, Ms. Amber, is in fact an extension of itself. Once used by Aleph to get around, but has since "fallen out". Not fought against.
|An Archangel with the appearance of a man in a dapper outfit and a triangle mirror for a head. The main antagonist of Cassette Beasts, being the one who defeated Morgante and recruits all of the defeated Archangels to create a new team after his old one disbanded so he can cause chaos throughout the reality.
|Night's Bridge Station
|The merged form of Aleph with his recruited Archangels Poppetox, Mourningstar, Nowhere Monarch, Heckahedron, Alice, Robin Goodfellow, Mammon, Lamento Mori, and Babelith. Acts as the final boss of the game.
|Night's Bridge Station
These archangels are encountered by the player as a part of the post-game.
|Morgante as she appears normally. She takes this form during "Land of Confusion" and during her fight in the post-game.
|An Archangel that resembles a mix of an Throne, an atom, and the Sun. Is the incantation of fusion. Helia is encountered during the quest "Here Comes The Sun".
|The train (and railway) that the Archangels use to get around. New Wirral lays on its back. Its emissary is Magikrab. Not fought against.
|An Archangel from another world that became a human and a heroine trying to save her world from a corrupting force. She is a secret boss fight and defeating her earns you the "Hero of Another Story" achievement.
Pier of the Unknown
These archangels are encountered by the player in the DLC Pier of the Unknown.
|Whatever it once was, it now exists between two states of being. An incomplete monstrosity that can express itself only an animal rage.
|The Witch House
|A half formed thing. The warmth it once possessed in a previous life has flickered out like a dying spark, leaving only a dark emptiness.
|A thing that knows only that it should not be. With no sense of rationality left, this pitiful entity cannot make decisions with any sense of logic or reasoning.
|Gwenivar is an ancient Archangel who has always held a childlike fascination with human culture. She has spent many years attempting to replicate mankind's natural ability to create new things.
- Shining Kuneko - An Archangel born from Felix's old drawing of a character he made when he was little, Kuneko, an "angel/demon hybrid raised by ninjas". Wanting revenge for being abandoned due to being perceived as an old shame, Kuneko "unites the four elements inside of her", becoming an Archangel. Defeating her nets you her forms. Is associated with Felix's "Don't You Want Me" quest.
- Mordread - An Archangel mentioned by Morgante, child of the Witch and Aleph. Is dead by the time of the game with a casket within Night's Bridge Station acting as his grave, and it is confirmed by Gwenivar that it was by Aleph's hands. His story is revealed during an encounter with The Mer-line in the "Here Comes The Sun" quest.
Archangels can use multiple moves in a single turn.
Unlike normal monsters, Archangels will aim to preserve their AP until it reaches 10 stacks, upon which they will expend it in an "Angelic Attack". The list is as follows:
- A01/A02/A03: Morgante: Coda Morgana
- A04: Poppetox: Feedback
- A05: Mourningstar: Judgment
- A06: Nowhere Monarch: Bomb Voyage
- A07: Heckahedron: Frustum Cull
- A08: Alice: High & Mighty
- A09: Robin Goodfellow: Fairy Horde
- A10: Mammon: Market Crash
- A11: Lamento Mori: Death Ray
- A12: Babelith: True Illumination
- 111: Shining Kuneko: Cosmic Kunai
- A14: Aleph: Deus Ex Calibur
- A16: Helia: Fusion Power
- A18: Lenna: Power of Truth
- A19/A20/A21: Pearl/Raven/Rose: Gear Shear
- A22: Gwenivar: Topsy Turvy
- The use of different art styles for each of the Archangels was inspired by the designs of witches in the anime Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
- Archangels from the time of Aleph's round table (Aleph, Morgante, Gwenivar, and The Amber Lodge) have more "stable" looking designs because they have existed longer and had more time to "solidify".
- "Archangels... Supposedly, when the first unlucky sods washed up on the shores of New Wirral, they thought the monsters here were angels. And, and some of them wrote of other entities too, greater than the others... Creatures that look and feel "wrong". Logically, they called these other creatures "Archangels" - the highest ranking among the order of angels. Of course, when people learned they could fight and defeat the regular monsters, they lost their "angelic allure". They've had a bunch of names over the years - angels, demons, devils, ghouls... We just call them monsters now. It's a good catch-all term. Those other creatures, though... Like the one we fought... They're still Archangels to us. We don't know what they are." - Kayleigh
- "MY OLD CREW AND I HAD SOMETHING OF AN ARRANGEMENT WITH YOUR LOT. A SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP. EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW IT. I HAVE A LOT OF RESPECT FOR YOU HUMANS! WITHOUT YOU WE WOULDN'T EXIST! YOU HUMANS LIVE ON YOUR LITTLE WORLDS AND YOU INVENT ALL THESE CUTE IDEAS. LOVE, DEATH, WHATEVER... YOUR MOST POWERFUL THOUGHTS WOULD BRING US TO LIFE, AND IN RETURN WE'D TRAVEL TO YOUR WORLDS TO ACT OUT WHATEVER FANTASIES YOU CONCOCTED FOR US! ADVENTURES... WARS... EXTINCTION EVENTS... YOU PEOPLE LOVE THAT STUFF THE MOST, AND SO DO I!" - Aleph
- "Folks like Aleph and I ain't flesh and blood, sugar. It takes an idea to die for us not to be able to come back in some form. He runs on conquest. If you humans keep findin' ways to kill each other, I'm sure he'll reform eventually. Though he might be out of action for quite some time..." - Ms. Amber
- "I am [an Archangel]. Well, I used to be. I guess I still am. It's a long story. I'm living as a human now, though. ... Why not? We're not bound by our origins - it doesn't matter who we used to be, it only matters who we choose to be in the present." - Lenna
- "But for him to slay his own kin that fateful day... I should hate him for it - I know the old witch did. But I cannot... conflict and domination were in his nature." - Gwen
- "The witches in Madoka were an inspiration for the Archangels for sure" - samuri (Jay Baylis). Bytten Studios Discord server. January 12, 2023. https://discord.com/channels/594939411775619102/1026951419854585976/1063218422265167872
- "Nah madoka magica is an inspiration because of what it does with its art style(s)" - tccoxon (Tom Coxon). Bytten Studios Discord server. January 12, 2023. https://discord.com/channels/594939411775619102/1026951419854585976/1063226725082861598
- "yep the intention is that the "round table" Archangels (from Aleph's generation) are a lot more "stable" visually, because they've existed for longer and had more time to "solidify" so to speak" - samuri (Jay Baylis). Bytten Studio Discord server. May 5, 2023. https://discord.com/channels/594939411775619102/1026951419854585976/1106230962116907039